Applying to HRIMS
HRIMS is coeducational and accepts qualified students regardless of race, color, religion, or national origin. The school accepts those students, who, in the opinion of the school, will benefit from a Montessori program, who will have successful experiences and who will enhance the classes for which they are applicants.
Prospective parents to HRIMS must first schedule a visit to observe a class in session and meet with the Head of School before submitting an application. Applications are given to the parents at the conclusion of the tour. Visitations take place Monday through Friday mornings and generally last about an hour. We highly recommend that parents involved in choosing the school for a child tour before submitting an application.
Upon receipt of your application a meeting will be scheduled between your child and a Montessori teacher to determine his/her readiness to enter the program. If no openings are available at the time of application, your child's name will be placed on an application list. Children are accepted throughout the year but no later than mid-March for the current school year.
Applicants will be given priority in the following order:
- Re-enrollment of current students
- Siblings of current students
- Children with previous Montessori experience
- New applicants
- For an optimal experience, children are admitted between 18 months and 27 months.
- HRIMS accepts students into our Toddler Community with the understanding and expectation that they will be subsequently enrolled in our Children's House Program when they are developmentally ready.
- The willingness of parents to commit to the full Children's House program.
- The student being the ideal age (3-4 years old is the optimum age to start).
- The student being fully toilet trained for the Children's House class.
- The student's readiness and willingness to learn.
- The parent's understanding and acceptance of our basic goals, philosophy, and expectations.
- HRIMS seeks to create classroom communities that are balanced by gender and age. In general, the school prefers to admit children at age three but will consider children who are four years of age.
HRIMS offers a full six year elementary program from 6+ to 12 years of age with an extensive curriculum that spans the entire elementary years. Students transition to this program upon completion of the Children's House. Priority is given to families who support and intend to stay for the duration of the elementary program.
HRIMS accepts non-Montessori students into this program based on the following criteria:
- Opening in program
- Child must be at least 6 years of age and finished kindergarten
- Child must be at a social and academic level appropriate to ensure a successful transition to the Montessori program
- Parents' commitment to the full Elementary Program (6 years)
There are no deferred enrollments. Applicants declining offers of enrollment are required to reapply (following the procedures of other candidates) for subsequent years.